Saying The Right Thing, The Right Way, At The Right Time
A knife can be a useful tool, if it is utilized correctly. When held and utilized correctly a sharp knife can make work in the kitchen much more efficient—but when held or used wrongly, a sharp knife can bring about injury and pain. The same is true of our words. Our words have tremendous potential to help—and tremendous potential to do harm.
The bible notes the importance of utilizing words correctly. This is important for our relationships, our health and our witness.
Drawn from the book of Proverbs, this lower quality audio file teaching presents principles and action steps designed to help individuals in the important quest of learning to tame the tongue (James 3:1-12). May God bless you as you commit to honor him in both word and deed.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES FOR HEALTHY/GOD-HONORING COMMUNICATION:
#1. THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK
“Intelligent people think before they speak.” Prov. 16:23a (GN)
- “You will have to live with the consequences of everything you say.” (Proverbs 18:20)
- Remember this rule: Less is morE
- “When there are many words, TROUBLE is not far
- One translation reads: “Sin is not far” (Prov. 10:19)
#2. BE FRANK AND FORTHRIGHT
- “He who holds back the truth causes trouble.” (Prov. 10:10)
- “An honest answer is the sign of true friendship.” (Prov. 24:26)
- “In the end people appreciate frankness…” (Prov. 28:23a)
#3. CONSIDER THE BEST TIMING IF YOU DESIRE THE BEST OUTCOME
- “There’s a time to speak, and a time to be silent.” (Ecc. 3:7)
- “Like apples of gold in settings of silver, so is a word spoken at the right moment.” (Prov. 25:11, Message)
- “Everyone enjoys giving advice, but how wonderful it is to say the right thing at the right time.” (Prov. 16:23, LB)
#3. CONSIDER YOUR GOAL
- Is your goal to win the argument, or to win the person/save the relationship?
- “Let your every word be useful for edification.” (Eph. 4:29)
- “Thoughtless words can wound as deeply as any sword, but wisely spoken words can heal.” (Proverbs 12:18)
#4. WHEN STRIVING TO TAME YOUR TONGUE, ASK GOD TO TOUCH YOUR HEART
- “The things that come out of the mouth come from the heart.” (Matthew 15:18a)
- “The words of the wise bring healing.” (Prov. 12:18b)
- LINKS AND VERSES ON TAMING THE TONGUE: